Friday 17 July 2009

My Around the World Trip

I’ve decided to go travelling, take a year out see a bit of the wolrld and then come back, refreshed and find a job. After much deliberation over where I wanted to go and learning for some companies you have to go east to west or west to east I phoned a travel man and discussed my plans with him. Unlike my family, who I think are worried that I’m mad doing a year long trip on my own, he was very enthusiastic (OK, he is a travel agent and is paid to encourage mad people). I told him where I wanted to go and for roughly how long in each place. Seeing as he’s done a lot of the places I’m planning he was able to offer suggestions of how long would be best and which way to go.


I told him which countries I wanted to spend time in and he suggested some other (hence Costa Rica appearing on the plan!) and that maybe I wouldn’t be able to do every country I wanted due to legal problems (USA and Cuba) or airline restrictions on backtracking with RTW tickets (Australia to India). But it seems that he’s worked out ways around the problems and now I have a preliminary itinerary. There are a few wrinkles to be sorted, for one I’m overstaying the 90 day USA visa by having to return to LA from Costa Rica to get my flight to New Zealand and I will have to rearrange some of my end flights as airlines will only books tickets 11 months in advance. At the moment I’m doing Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo and then my return flight from Moscow to London in 9 days, not quite the 3 months I was after! But these things can be sorted easily, I hope.

But here’s the plan so far:

London to Montreal
Spend a few weeks around the south east of Canada and maybe trip to see the Northern Lights!
Montreal to New York
Travel down the east coast of the states, then across the south, up to the northwest and then down to LA
Los Angeles to Mexico City
Mexico City to Havana, Cuba
Christmas in Cuba!
Havana, Cuba to San Jose, Costa Rica (maybe then to Panama and Panama to LA)
San Jose to Los Angeles
My birthday in LA!
Los Angeles to Auckland
Spend 3 weeks in the North Island, with maybe a quick trip to the South Island.
Auckland to Sydney
Sydney to Singapore
Travel by land and boat to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand for a few months
Bangkok to Delhi
Travel overland in India for a couple of months
Mumbai to Hong Kong
Hong Kong to Shanghai
Travel around China seeing the Great Wall, Forbidden City, the warriors etc
Beijing to Tokyo
Then a ferry from Fushiki, Japan to Vladivostok
The Trans-Siberian railway from Vladivostok to Moscow, with a few stops along the way.
From Moscow to St Petersburg by train and back again
Moscow to London

So if anyone has any tips of places to visit, things to do etc, please let me know. If you can’t tell, the end of my trip isn’t so well planned, yet! But my travel man has lots of suggestions so I’ll be picking his brain for those.

From October 1st, let the adventures begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment