Monday 20 July 2009

Christmas in July

I consider myself a normal person, whatever normal is. But sometimes I wonder what other people are like. My landlady has recently had an operation for breast cancer, so whilst she was recovering I helped her out, by carrying things for her, helping around the flat, generally doing things that I think any normal person would. I also stop and chat with her when I come home in the evenings or during the day, which she seems to find unusual. She does like to talk! Sometimes in English, sometimes in German and sometimes a mixture of both, which can be fun to work out what’s going – especially when it’s in German, I tend to understand but always reply in English.


The other weekend she went on a buying trip to Poland – she runs a Christmas ornament stall in Munich – and went to a church where many
people visit on a pilgrimage. This time on her visit the church was open and she visited the shrine and shop. The rosary below, was a present she bought back for me, as a talisman for my upcoming trip and to ward off the cancer in future. I’m not religious, but it’s the sentiment that counts.

Yesterday she took me down to the cellar so I could chose a Christmas ornament to take home with me. This was after she had sewn up the hem on my jeans, as she insisted that as they were worn they were scruffy and I had to have them sewn up! She wanted to say thanks for helping and generally being a ‘pleasant’ person – her words! I said it wasn’t necessary, I was just being normal but she insisted. So down to the cellar we went… It is chock full of ornaments, from Father Christmases in all shapes, sizes, colours and countries to snowmen, birds, musical instruments, a motorcycle, Harry Potter, Egyptian figures, you name it she had it, even a Dumbo elephant for baby’s first Christmas. Apparently she attracts a lot of collectors at her stall, who want something a bit different. She also had more normal stars, balls, dangly things, things I consider Christmassy. So what to chose? In the end I went for the snowman on the ball, but that wasn’t enough for her, I had to choose more, so the polar bear was added and we left the cellar. Back in the flat she has more ornaments she’s ordering or getting ready for Christmas. She had a few on the table, all pine cones and the red one was thrust into my hands as I had to have that as well!


I’ve always visited the Weihnacht markets in Munich, they’re great fun, though the smaller ones around town tend to be less busy than the one in Marienplatz, but I’ve never bought anything from the stalls, they can be pricey. But now I have my stash of glass Christmas ornaments, some made in Poland and some in Germany, as a souvenir.

To see my landlady’s full range of unusual Christmas ornaments, do visit her stall in Rotkreuzplatz, opposite Tchibo during the Weihnacht market. She’s a lovely lady and enjoys the whole Christmasness of the markets and the ornaments. Her firm also has stalls in Berlin and Bad Tolz, so if in the area do pay a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment