Monday 18 May 2009

My new bike panniers


I hate to follow stereotypes, but when I’m down I do go shopping. And my things to buy are shoes and bags. This time I’d set my heart on a set of bike panniers, which is close enough to a bag in my world. I’d been into Radl Bauer (a bike shop in Munich) and spied these funky panniers before. But as I had a basket on the back of my bike I put them to the back of my mind.


One thing I have to say is that I use my bike everyday if I’m going somewhere, it’s my prime source of transport and I love it. It’s usually faster than public transport, cheaper and easier. Plus you get to see more of the town you live in, especially if you don’t know where you’re going, it’s fun to work out new routes, beat the time you ridden the route before and get some exercise. I used to have an old 3 gear bike, with back brakes which was great if you didn’t want to go too far and the gears were working (in the end it was down to one working gear, which made even the one tiny hill in Munich difficult). Since then I’ve bought a trekking bike, with 27 gears so longer journeys are now no problem, even a 45km trip to the airport. OK, the airport doesn’t sound like a fun destination, but it was the journey there that counted. Though saddle sore is definitely something I will have to get used to if I do more long trips. Hopefully, without sounding too geeky, I love my bike! So I decided to go splurge and treat myself to the panniers. I checked them out online and even if they were a treat they were expensive online. But, joy of joys, at the shop they were cheaper than I expected.

My bike at Königsplatz, Munich

I had the choice between Basil's black and white floral design or the more lairy green with pink/red flowers. Seeing as I needed cheering up I went for the green, hey, if I was going to have funky panniers might as well go for the funkiest.

Since I’ve been using them the last few days (and disposed of the basket), I’ve had people eyeing them up, even one local complimented me on them. Now, that is unusual for normally reticent Müncheners. Hopefully, I won’t have the same trouble as one reviewer of the bags had, when his wife’s bag broke in three days. I’m now on day 5 and they’re still going strong and can carry lots of bottles, so no problems so far, long may they last!


Radl Bauer

Basil Bike Stuff

2 comments:

  1. I love my bike as well! I can't wait to see those panniers myself - excellent purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, I'm sure they'll be with me when I see you next.

    ReplyDelete